Thursday 8 September 2016

Heritage Open Days

Dont forget its the weekend of the best freebies for a day out.  Theres even a few tomorrow, friday , I like these because its not all big venues theres lots of local obscure things that you dont get to see at other times .    https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/  theres stuff all over the country .
We were supposed to be going scootering this weekend , but comman sense has prevailed . Mr Bah Humbug has rather leperous feet at the moment and i always worry he will take his socks off and a toe will remain inside. Im sure that would be the highlight of my day !!
So tomorrow I will get to pop to a couple of obscure churches that are open and combine this with the glories of working in Grimsby . Saturday may even involve yet more obscure local events with the munchkin in tow .
Now the fact that ive made rather a good thrift score this week  has scored me loads of brownie points , I went to Unique Auctions on Wednesday night , more to escape from the family and just enjoy, than to purchase anything , because funds are as always very low . Sat there till the last few lots and he decided to auction off a rather nice sofa , nobody showed the slightest interest so he got down to a whole £5 then I popped my hand up and he nearly died of shock . He even said are you sure? lol
Now I knew it was mustard coloured, but folks had been sat on it all night . Went to pick it up this morning and discovered I'd accidently bought for a whole £6.60 with commision, a very new , spotless G Plan sofa that is currently selling in John Lewis for £1200  , it even smells as though it has just come out of the plastic , in fact one of the porters pointed out it had just come out of the plastic just a few weeks ago, when they fetched it from a estate clearance !  So the thrifting gods have smiled on me , it matches nothing we own, but being as it will be swathed in throws to keep my grubby lot off it , does it matter . We wont even go into the performance me and sarcastic son had trying to get it into the house , ive currently got the slaves dismantling the old sofa we sawed in half to make getting it out easier  , so we can burn the frame and filter the rest of it into the bin over the next few weeks . I will take the pile of cushions to the skip when im passing and its actually open , something of a rarity these days . I had the old sofa for 12 years and i bought it from the YMCA charity shop for a whole £10 because it had sun fade on the covers . So it would seem i have always been a meany .  Thats one more item off my thrift wish list , still need a few things yet .

12 comments:

  1. Bargain sofa. Should last a long while being G plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, well done, what a fantastic bargain. It's nice when something goes your way isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. G Plan! What a great buy. Love these Heritage Days, I'm touring a couple of small churches, too. I'll keep a look out for you. I'll be carrying a rolled up newspaper and wearing a carnation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wrinkly fat bird ...looking slightly deranged...lol

      Delete
    2. Kate, what an awful thing to call Felicity :-)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing bargain. More fool those who didn't bid on it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah and hooray 😊 I am so pleased the thrifty gods smiled on you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, it's brilliant when something turns out better than expected - rather than the more usual, finding the faults after the purchase! I bet you'll feel chuffed every time you look at it - for a while, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to your prompt I'm going to a cemetery!

    ReplyDelete