Tuesday 5 September 2017

Silence

Can you hear that?  total silence the munchkin has gone back to school today !!!
Its sort of weird to get used to , but it does mean i can get on with my harvest chores , mountain of blackberries boiled up awaiting straining first job of the day . Going to try the pickled pears Hairy Bikers recipe , im missing a few ingredients , so i will improvise ..lol
Noticed the rhubarb has sprung back into life , so i will go and chop it all down and freezer a load , plus i may do a jam .  Sultanas soaking in tea for a batch of tea bread buns .  Apple everything with the windfall apples , main crop due this week...AARRGGH
Raspberries to pick theyre just yielding a pint a day at the moment but theyre going to glut shortly .
The freezer is starting to look grimly empty , so need to find cheap protein from somewhere , starting to realise that is going to be the stumbling block through the winter on the extreme food budget were on at the moment .
 Ive tried to explain to Mr Bah Humbug that we can happily live without meat but hes been really twatish about it , not that we could afford much meat before our latest financial apocalypse ..lol  He had a paddy because i served up the worst sausages of all time the other day , just straight forward sausage egg and chips and he goes off on one , only to be told hes been eating them for weeks disguised in various fajita rice , sausage casserole etc etc .
We eat a lot of cheap supermarket eggs , bacon miss shapes and liver , because they are cheap , cant beat yellow sticker liver , we had a yellow label pork chop each last week sheer luxury ..lol ..Theres a lot of indian food as well , its amazing what you can achieve with lentils and chickpeas , endless bhajis and falafels , ive always stockpiled gram flour and semolina flour so ive barely made a dint in them yet , i always mix 20g of semolina flour in when i make pastry it seems to make it less sticky and gives it that store bought colour. Getting low on dried onions but you can get a sack of onions for a couple of pounds out here in the wilds.
I have a shopping list in my head for when were flush ..lol...if it ever happens

13 comments:

  1. I was hoping that things might have improved for you and Mr BH while I been away from Blogland ill Kate but I see they haven't after reading your last few posts.
    I am so disgusted with how you are getting treated. How do they get away with the lying?
    I know that they are neither use nor ornament but sending hugs to you both-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hugs are good , you cant eat them but they help

      Delete
  2. All that fruit sounds wonderful. Lots of lovely jam and pickle in your future I think.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wartime cookbooks are brilliant for alternative fruit ideas

      Delete
  3. Thank the lord you have all that fruit and that you have the ability to preserve, cook and adapt recipes. I do hope your luck changes soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we were offered foodbank vouchers again yesterday , but living rurally we can forage tons of food , come the winter it may be different but i will have a lot of stuff in storage

      Delete
  4. The blackberries sound delicious, sadly I haven't seen any around here yet. Hopefully there will be a change in your circumstances soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you forget how good such an insignificant fruit can be , im just going through my wartime cookbooks for more ideas

      Delete
  5. You are managing so well under such difficult circumstances. Your case worker sounds like a gem, just like my son's. I am hoping with everything I have that you get a good outcome. How they can treat disabled people, who are already so vulnerable, in such a callous manner I don't know. No wonder so many people give up...which is what they hope for I suppose, so they don't have to pay out. I know from experience just how frustrating, degrading and downright depressing the whole process is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think that its the realisation that hes going to go through this over and over , proving that hes ill to the powers that be

      Delete
  6. How strange, Carly was talking about pickled pears the other day and I had never heard of them!!! haha
    I hope your situation improves soon, We know all too well what it's like trying to live on a shoestring making the most out of yellow label treasure. If its any consolation to Mr Humbug I am 6ft tall, very active and have lived without meat for the last year and honestly think it has done my health the world of good.I used to be one of the idiots that turned their nose up at salad and professed to be a carnivore but it's all nonsense really, we can all live well without meat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think so long as theirs a pig on the planet i would crave meat , but i can happily do without for months . Mr BH is a carnivore to the core so the bad sausages were a punishment...lol

      Delete
  7. I do love a good pantry. The sight of shelves full of pickles, chutneys and jams is a lovely one. I lead a food foraging group several years ago. A lady looked at me in horror once when I ate blackberries from a hedgerow. I wanted to laugh when she said.... 'You really should wash them before you eat them' I have eaten unwashed hedgerow fruits my whole life and am still alive to tell the tale. Same goes for plums of all varieties. We have a great 'community fruit woodland' quite close to where I live. The fruit is free to anyone who would like to help themselves...Other than me nobody does....

    ReplyDelete